Longhoughton CE First School Parent & Friends' Association (PFA)
Longhoughton C of E Primary School Parents & Friends Association
An Introduction to our PFA
Every parent is automatically a member of the PFA - your voice counts!
Our goal is to use the skills, time and help (be that 15 minutes now and then or much more) of our community to raise funds that are used for our children here at Longhoughton C of E Primary School.
We have a chair, secretary and treasurer along with 4 elected committee members and a number of other regular attendees and contributors at our meetings.
As with many schools, our PFA are always asking for help and often short of volunteers! You will see our cries for baking, prizes, and time on a regular basis via our (closed) Facebook page, parent mail and general persuasion at drop off and pick up times!
10 reasons to join in!
Our PFA depends on a continual cycle of parent involvement. As children reach their final year and leave, so do their parents. The staff support us when possible, but without all of you we have no PFA.
We are a mixture of parents, grandparents and willing helpers that work together for the benefit of Longhoughton C of E Primary School. NONE of us are specialists in fundraising, our meetings often involve much banter and laughter and many an event is planned and sorted out around the school gates in a somewhat ad-hoc manner as everyone has a thousand other things to do!
1. You are vital to the success of the school
• Without the funds raised by the PFA, your child would not get the benefits of:
IPads, PE and sporting equipment, subsidised bus travel to educational visits, Discos, Spring Fayre, Christmas Fayre, Design your own Christmas cards, ice lollies at sports day, outdoor equipment, signs in our school garden, classroom equipment (from electric pencil sharperners to CD players), Let’s Get Cooking equipment, crackers provided at Christmas, Easter Egg Competition prizes and much much more!
2. It’s TOTALLY flexible!
• There are a variety of small ways you can help and be involved – from designing a poster, baking cakes, cleaning up after an event, helping out on a stall…so many ways.
• Giving up just 30 minutes of your time to help the PFA is invaluable. If everyone could spare 30 minutes a term to help, just think what we could achieve!
3. You’ll feel more connected
• There’s no better way to know what events are being planned, have your say or make new fundraising suggestions, than by offering your help and support.
4. You’ll be part of a great network
• You will be part of a like-minded network of people who all share a common goal of our children having the best school experience possible.
5. Make a difference
• Our PFA strive to establish a supportive and encouraging community for the entire school. By volunteering to help you will be reinforcing this for your child/ren and the whole school.
6. It’s good for you!
• Research has shown that anyone who volunteers, even a small amount of their time, benefits from a feeling of well being that contributes to a positive attitude and that children who see their families helping actually engage and can perform better over time! Other research lists the social and CV-enhancing benefits of giving up a little of your time. A survey of 200 UK businesses by TimeBank found that 73% of employers would employ candidates with volunteering experience more readily than those without!
7. Be a role model
• By getting involved with our PFA, you’ll show your children that not only are they important to you, but their education is as well.
• Getting involved demonstrates good teamwork and community spirit.
8. What the PFA does affects every parent (and pupil)
• Your voice matters – the PFA is made up of people elected to represent you, so help us to do this effectively.
• See the smiles on their faces and know that you have played a part in making school a little more comfortable and fun!
9. It’s fun!
• Help plan fun events, socials and get-togethers.
• Suggest NEW fun ways to raise funds.
• Get your whole family involved!
Our children are only at school for a relatively short time. PFA events such as Discos, parties, Auction of Promises, Christmas and Spring / Summer Fayres with the accompanying mayhem and fun from bouncy castles to pony and sleigh rides to the inevitable glitter tattoos will be remembered fondly by our children for a lifetime.
We don’t bite so come and join us!
The equipment and resources the PTA helps fund, make learning even more engaging. Help us continue to create lasting memories for our children.